Международный эксперт по проблематике экосистемных услуг в рамках природоохранной политики в Центральной Азии
Должность: Международный эксперт
Название проекта: Поддержка местных инициатив в природоохранном управлении и управлении водными ресурсами в Центральной Азии.
Организация: Региональный экологический центр для Центральной Азии (РЭЦЦА)
Расположение: Туркестан, Казахстан
Продолжительность: 2 месяца
Расчетный срок начала: 20 апреля 2014
- The Regional Environmental Center for Central Asia (CAREC)
CAREC was founded in 2001 by the Governments of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, the European Union (EU) and the United National Development Programme (UNDP) as an international organization of regional nature.
CAREC’s headquarter is in Almaty, Kazakhstan, with country offices in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. CAREC’s staff is multinational, represented by staff members from CA countries and from western countries. CAREC’s Board of Directors is composed by state representatives and representatives of civil society for each of five countries of CA, of the donor community, international organizations.
CAREC’s mission is to assist in addressing environmental problems in Central Asia (CA) through the provision of dialogue platforms for multi-state and multi-sectoral communication, know-how, knowledge and technology exchange, supporting of the development and application of innovative environmental policies, approaches and practices and through the promotion of public participation in environmental decision-making and the exchange of information in the region.
CAREC plays a key role in the promotion of the Central Asian Initiative for Sustainable Development (CAI) through the following programs:
- Environmental Management and Policy;
- Water Initiatives Support;
- Climate Change and Sustainable Energy;
- Education for Sustainable Development.
- Project background
Since 2009 the Regional Environmental Center for Central Asia (CAREC) has been promoting the concept of ecosystem services in Central Asia thanks to the support of different donors (FOEN, SwissRE Foundation, The Government of Norway, GEF SGP). During these five years of action, CAREC successfully completed a range of activities in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Azerbaijan: large scale social surveys on water-related ecosystem services, awareness raising and capacity building on ES at various levels, economic valuation of ecosystem services, and the full development of Payment for Ecosystem Services schemes.
This extensive experience makes CAREC the leading organization on ES related activities and mechanisms in Central Asia. In parallel, a few other organizations have been punctually working on similar topics in the region.
Unfortunately, these projects’ were not coordinated and none of their outcomes have been integrated into environmental policies and the ownership of Central Asian governments on this topic remains very low. There is therefore a need to stocktake existing experiences in Central Asia and make concrete recommendations to mainstream their results in Central Asian States’ environmental policies.
On 17th-18th of June 2014, CAREC organizes a conference in Turkestan city (Kazakhstan) on mainstreaming ecosystem services in environmental policies in Central Asia thanks to the support of the Ministry of Environment of Norway. Bringing together representatives from governmental and non-governmental organizations from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, the conference goals are:
- Stocktaking ecosystem services (ES) related activities and their role in environmental governance in Central Asia;
- Identifying opportunities and barriers for mainstreaming ES in environmental policies at local, national and regional levels;
- Identifying main conditions for a successful integration of ES into environmental policies at local, national and regional levels in Central Asia, and making concrete recommendations accordingly;
On 20th of June, a study tour will be organized to a nearby CAREC pilot project, where a cooperation mechanism has been created between local stakeholders to improve ecosystem services provision.
In order to learn from international experiences and best practices for better integration of ES into environmental policies, CAREC is looking for an international expert who will make several presentations at the conference and help identifying key steps for mainstreaming ES into environmental policies in Central Asia.
- Key functions of the expert
The international expert will complete the following tasks:
- Support the CAREC team to finetune the conference agenda and help identifying the key issues to be discussed in order to reach the conference’s objectives;
- Make a 30-minute key note speech on “Making ecosystem services value count”;
- Make a 30-minute presentation on “Mainstreaming Ecosystem Services into policy making – international experience”;
- Based on the results of thematic working groups, to lead a 1-hour discussion session with the audience on “Recommendations and implications for integrating ES into environmental policies of CA States”;
- Co-moderate the final 1-hour discussion session which is aimed at identifying next steps to target in order to put into actions the conference’s recommendations, and define responsible stakeholders.
- Expected Profile and Qualifications
- Experience as a researcher or project implementer in mainstreaming ES considerations into environmental policy, including relevant publications;
- Extensive knowledge of similar experiences and best practices from different regions of the world;
- Extensive experience in working with multi-stakeholder audiences (scientists, governmental and non-governmental organizations);
- Ability to make clear presentations and excellent communication skills;
- Ability to quickly analyze and clearly formulate guidelines and recommendations;
- Previous experiences in Central Asia and knowledge of the region will be considered as an asset.
- Time frame
The present position will cover a period of 2 month, including preparation of the conference and the conference itself. The contract duration is planned to be from 20th of April till 19th of June 2014.
Please submit your CVs and any additional questions to Mr. Simon Charré email@example.com as well as to Saniya Kartayeva SKartayeva@carec.kz before the 15th of April 2014 at 18:00 (GMT+6).